In this Issue:
- Historic Southern Pacific Depot Moved
- 2015 Great Homes of Long Beach Tour
- President’s Message
- Bembridge House Spring News
- “Bungalow Mansions” by Miner Smith
- Historic Preservation in the Ninth District
- The Demise of the State Office Building
- Volunteer Spotlight: Joan Sasaki
- Southern Pacific Depot Moved
- Summer Splendor at Santa Anita
- Membership Report — March 2015
- Recent Preservation Success Stories
Historic Southern Pacific Depot Moved
The Southern Pacific Depot was successfully relocated to Willow Springs Park on California Avenue between Willow and Spring Streets.
By Cheryl Perry If you read our Fall 2014 newsletter there was an article about the Southern Pacific Railroad Depot that was going to be saved and moved. Well, we are happy to report that the Depot was successfully relocated to Willow Springs Park, which is on California Avenue between Willow and Spring Streets. This is the second move for the Depot. Originally built at 225 W. Broadway in 1906 it was moved to 1475 San Francisco Avenue in 1936, where it was then used by the City of Long Beach as a chemical laboratory. The striking Mission Revival style architecture of the Depot was probably designed by Southern Pacific employee Daniel Patterson, who was their official architect during the period of construction. Because it is one of a very select...