Long Beach Heritage is a nonprofit education and advocacy group promoting public knowledge and preservation of significant historical and architectural resources, neighborhoods, and the cultural heritage of Long Beach.

Download the PDF

In this Issue:

  • The Mysterious History of the Leeway Sailing Center
  • Jergins Trust Finials
  • 1949 Automated Light House in Long Beach to Be Demolished
  • Message from the President, Melinda Roney
  • Historic District Leaders Planning Meeting Scheduled for September 29
  • Upcoming Event: The Intersection of Pine and Ocean
  • Bembridge House to Participate in Long Beach Arts Month
  • Uncovering Historic Facades Attracts Attention
  • A Classic Great Gatsby Garden Party!
  • The Curious Development of Belmont Shore
  • Karen Bertram honored as Volunteer of the Year
  • 2012 MARY LOU HEARD GARDEN TOUR
  • Membership Report — September 10, 2012

The Mysterious History of the Leeway Sailing Center

By Louise Ivers

Leeway Sailing Center

The impending demolition of the Leeway Sailing Center at the corner of Ocean Boulevard and Bay Shore Drive has stirred up a great deal of controversy. Some local residents want to save and restore the building, while others are enthusiastic about the plans by Gotama Building Engineers for a new and larger “zero energy” classroom/office structure. The Leeway Center provides sailing and aquatics instruction for Long Beach youths under the auspices of the city Parks and Recreation Department. It has been in business for a long time. An article published in the May 27, 1934 Los Angeles Times said that the first annual “half-pint” championship races were held the day before in Alamitos Bay and that thirteen year old Charles Davis of the Leeway Sailing Club won first place. The Leeway Sailing classes were first held at the Alamitos Bay Yacht Club, which was also the owner of the present structure at Ocean and Bay Shore when it was moved from the port to its Ocean Boulevard site in 1948. The 1948 building permit stated that the four room club house was formerly a water taxi station and that a new foundation was constructed for it, but that this wood framed building was not altered after it was moved. A certificate of occupancy was issued on January 25, 1949. The water taxi station measured 35 by 37 feet and had a porch running the length of the Ocean Boulevard façade. The...Click Here to Read the Full Article.