Download the PDF 

In this issue: 

  • 2010 Long Beach Heritage Annual Awards Benefit
  • Promoting Long Beach as a destination for Cultural Heritage Tourists
  • Long Beach Heritage General Meeting at the Historic Skyroom
  • Meet three of LBH's newest Advisors: Jon Meyer, Kurt Heli, Rick Hobbs
  • Saving the Atlantic Theater: A Case in Support of the Environmental Impact Report Adaptive Reuse Alternative
  • The Edgewater Inn
  • What’s Up at the Bembridge Heritage Homesite
  • Photography Exhibit at Long Beach City College

St Anthony's Long Beach2010 Long Beach Heritage Annual Awards Benefit

Join LBH aboard the Queen Mary for the  biggest preservation event of the year 

By Louise Ivers
Long Beach Heritage’s most important gala event of the year, the Annual awards Benefit, is coming up on February 18, 2010. As usual, it will be held in the Grand Salon aboard the grande dame of ocean liners, the Queen Mary. We will be giving ten awards for restoration, rehabilitation, reconstruction, and cultural resources to various projects throughout the city, as well as one to the Preservationist of the Year.

St. Anthony’s High School on Olive Avenue will receive an award for the rehabilitation of both the girls’ and boys’ buildings. The former structure dates from 1933 and was designed by Henry Carlton Newton and Robert Dennis Murray of Los Angeles. The original brick high school of 1926 was heavily damaged in the earthquake so a new reinforced concrete building with Italianate details and a low tower was constructed to protect students from future tremors. In 1945 a third story was added to the school. The boys’ department was built in 1941 at the corner of Olive Avenue and 6th Street with thick concrete walls as well. Both structures have quoins around the doorways, but the girls’ school has more ornamental elements, such as paired lions symbolizing resurrection and tau-crosses shaped like the capital letter T, representing St. Anthony of Padua, to whom the Long Beach Catholic church and school are dedicated. These reliefs, as well as the brightly colored tiles found on the north entrance, and many interior elements have been preserved in both buildings. They include original maple and linoleum floors, students’ desks of the 1940s and 1950s, and library shelves...

To read the full article download the pdf here.