Houghton Park Buildings in North Long Beach
The Houghton Park Clubhouse was built in 1930 and designed by George W. Ferris, who worked in the City Engineer's office. It is an excellent example of Spanish Revival style architecture with many Moorish details and contains an auditorium framed by a curvilinear molding, recessed arches with painted heraldic motifs on the side walls, and a ceiling with elaborately carved wooden beams.
In 1946 another structure in the American Colonial Revival style was added to the complex by local architect Harold Wildman. A recreation center for Jordan High School students by the Long Beach firm of John Duffy and Leo Dreher was attached to the original clubhouse in 1959. This was designed in a Mid-Century Modern mode with large expanses of glass windows. All of these structures are facing demolition and replacement by a new building in the near future.
Coffee Pot Café (Hot Cha)
The Coffee Pot Café was built in 1932 and its name was changed to the Hot Cha Café around 1934. It is a great example of Programmatic architecture and is a Long Beach landmark. However, it is threatened with demolition by neglect by its owner, who has not responded to the city request that he rehabilitate the building. This quaint structure has a sheet metal coffee pot atop its hexagonal roof and once had stained glass windows.
Mrs. Chapman's Angel Food Donut
Mrs. Chapman's Angel Food Donut Shop was built in 1958 with a gigantic fiberglass doughnut atop the building.. The architect was probably John Duffy (1910-1991) who worked in Long Beach in the fifties and sixties. Like the coffee pot, the doughnut is one of the few examples of Programmatic architecture in Long Beach.
Fire Station 12
Fire Station #12 was built in 1930, but the city of Long Beach did not have sufficient funds to fully staff the station, so it was left vacant for a while. In 1933 the Reconstruction Finance Corporation (RFC) employed women in a sewing project at the building and in 1934 the State Emergency Relief Administration (SERA) took over the sewing center. Finally in 1937 fire fighters occupied Station #12, but it was abandoned in 2013 when a new structure was built nearby. Although the architect is unknown, the building is a typical example of Spanish Revival style architecture, with its plaster walls,, terra cotta tile roof, arched doorway and towers.
Southern Pacific Depot
The former Southern Pacific Railroad Depot, built in 1906, was originally on West 2nd Street near Pacific Avenue, facing the park. One of the oldest remaining structures in Long Beach, it was moved to 1475 San Francisco Street in the City Yard, but is now facing either another move or possible demolition. It was designed in the Mission Style, characteristic of railway buildings around the turn of the century. It had a tower, mixtilinear gables, ornamental windows, and Plateresque reliefs on the faces. It is an excellent example of the Mission Revival and its exterior remains intact.
The Southern Pacific Depot was moved to Willow Springs Park and was set to become a new visitor's center before it was destroyed by fire in 2016.
Long Beach Civic Center
The County Courthouse at 415 West Ocean Boulevard, designed by Francis Heusel and Kenneth S. Wing, Sr. in 1957-60, has been abandoned and is facing immanent demolition. Bole & Wilson were the engineers for the structure. The new County Courthouse on Magnolia Avenue at Broadway by AECOM is already occupied. The old Courthouse, with its alternating bands of glass and enamel metal panels, is a signature Mid-Century Modern building, which could be gutted and adaptively reused for another purpose. The Long Beach City Council has pronounced the City Hall and the Main Library unsafe in earthquakes and has called for three proposals to completely replace them, but none of these include the possibility of retrofitting the present structures.
These iconic buildings are the last examples of public structures designed by local architects, as all of the newer ones, such as the County Courthouse, were designed by firms from other cities. The City Hall and Public Library were completed in 1976-77 by a consortium called the Allied Architects, which included Hugh and Donald Gibbs; Kenneth S. Wing Senior and Junior; Killingsworth, Brady & Assciates; and Homolka & Associates. These firms were the major architects in Long Beach at the time. The buildings combined rough textured concrete, steel, glass, as well as landscaping, in a design that spoke the language of Late Modernism. Originally, the Library had a rooftop garden that was abandoned due to leakage caused by poor maintenance. The employees in the City Hall state that it is badly equipped to withstand an earthquake.
Edgewater (Seaport Marina) Hotel
Originally called the Edgewater Inn when it was constructed in 1961-63, the Seaport Marina Hotel at 6400 East Pacific Coast Highway is in immediate danger of being razed. It is a delightful Mid-Century Modern building with Y-shaped piers, folded roofs, and textured walls. The hotel was designed by Roy Sealey, an important African-American architect who worked in Los Angeles, beginning his career in Paul R. Williams' office. The Seaport Marina Hotel was a popular place for prominent Long Beach social events in the sixties.
The Art Deco hotel at 628 East Anaheim Street is one of the few remaining buildings in this style on the Anaheim corridor, which once boasted many of these commercial structures. Built around 1932, this brick and concrete building has numerous Modernistic (the name for Art Deco current in the twenties and thirties) motifs. These include a stepped tower at the corner, superimposed layers of vertical piers terminating in leafy motifs, a decorated cornice, and a wrought iron grille with chevrons and scrolls above the entrance to the second story hotel rooms. This structure is presently abandoned and for sale to a developer.
The American Hotel
The American Hotel at 224 East Broadway was built in 1905. It is the only brick commercial building of the first decade of the twentieth century left standing in Long Beach and has distinctive arches with cast art stone keystones and a corbel table on the upper part of its facade. The Panel Brick style building, which originally contained stores on the ground floor and a spartan hotel above, is an important piece of Long Beach history. The Cultural Heritage Commission has approved an excellent plan for the adaptive reuse of this structure.
Acres of Books
Approved for adaptive reuse into an arts center, the former Acres of Books building at 240 Long Beach Boulevard, was originally a market when it was constructed in 1924. It was remodeled in a Streamline Moderne style in 1936 with curved corners, a mini-tower, and horizontal bands of ornament to house the Glenn Thomas Used Car Store. Later it was taken over by Acres of Books, a nationally renowned used bookstore. Like the American Hotel, this project has lost its RDA funding.